Students and Employment

If you are interested to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa. There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas. F nonimmigrant status is granted to those enrolling in educational studies, while those granted M nonimmigrant status enroll in occupational studies.

In order to qualify for F-1 or M-1 visa you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must enroll in an “academic” educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program.
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement.
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution.
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency.
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study.
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which he or she has no intention of giving up.

Following the completion of your studies, you may qualify for Optional Practical Training Extension. The attorneys at our law firm have extensive experience in F-1 and M-1 visa and can assist you to obtain the appropriate desire.